Student Research Development Award
The SRDA provides funds to support mentored research that fosters the development of research skills and intellectual rigor of IASR student members beginning a career focused on sexuality research. For a list of previous winners, please click here.
Two applicants per year will be selected to receive the $1,000 USD award. Funds can be made available in the currency of the recipients' choice (Canadian dollars, Euros, or USD) at the equivalent amount.
The student's application must be received by May 15, and the mentor's recommendation must be received by the May 18. See below for instructions.
- Recipients may be students from any discipline who are engaging in sex research. Students must be matriculated in a graduate program. Persons with completed terminal degrees (for example, those in post-doctoral programs) are not eligible unless working toward a second degree (e.g., another Masters, PhD, MD, or JD). In those few cases, verification is required by contacting the Secretary-Treasurer before submitting any material.
- IASR student membership is required prior to application. Dues must be paid for the current and any relevant previous years.
- Collaboration and support of at least one qualified research mentor is required. Mentor membership in IASR is not required.
- Although attendance at the annual conference is advisable, it is not a pre-requisite of being awarded the SRDA. That is, applicants do not need to attend the annual IASR meeting to be considered for the award. Awardees will be announced during an award ceremony.
- Previous winners are ineligible.
Expectations of Awardees
- Project summary upon completion of the proposed research (and/or progress reports, as deemed necessary by the Executive Board)
- Acknowledgement of IASR support in all project-related scientific presentations or publications
Submit an Application or Completion Report
The SRDA application process has been moved to a standard submission form. Students applying for the SRDA (and their recommenders) are advised to consult the provided PDF guide in preparing their applications. In brief, students will be asked to provide information about their experience, identified mentor, and proposed research.
Upon submission of the application, a recommendation request will be sent to the mentor's email, through which they may access the mentor recommendation form. This form will ask for an evaluation of the research potential of the applicant as well as a description of the intended mentoring plan.
Note: Applications will be matched to recommendations by the student's email address. Please ensure that both student and mentor enter the same address.
Past award recipients who are ready to submit their completion reports should enter their information in the form linked above and attach a 1-2 page summary of their completed project. Include any publications or presentations resulting from the SRDA-funded research.